Closed roads

richard_a

18:35 Fri, 23 Sep 2016

There used to be a thread on here highlighting closed roads that are likely to cause problems for cyclists. After my debacle this afternoon I thought I'd re-start it...

richard_a

18:35 Fri, 23 Sep 2016

As I discovered this afternoon, the A607 / Syston Road (south of Sileby) is closed between Cossington and Syston so that they can re-build the bridge over the railway. The signs (which don't appear until you're really very close to the closure) say it's closed until April 2017.

The bridge has been demolished, so there's no way across even on foot, and the signed diversions (straight up the A46!) are not ideal for bikes. Even the shortest go-around from the south adds at least 5 miles to your route, so I suggest giving it a wide berth.

richard_a

18:40 Fri, 23 Sep 2016

Another one for the list - the road from the Via Gellia to Middleton Top is closed while they re-build the road-side walls. According to the Derbyshire CC website it's is closed until mid-October. (You might be able to walk through, but you certainly can't ride it.)

richard_a

12:34 Sat, 1 Oct 2016

There are a bunch of road closures up in the near Peak at the moment, as we discovered this morning. Part of the Via Gellia is closed, so there's no access from Cromford up to Longcliffe (even by bike). And Manystones Lane (along the ridge above Brassington, past the wind turbines) is closed as well. I think you could probably get through that one on a bike if you wanted to, but given the howling headwind we didn't try to find out...

richard_a

12:22 Sun, 27 Nov 2016

Presume most people know the bridge between Stanford and Normanton is out on the return leg of the TdL, there is a pedestrian bridge so its passable but a faff.

richardb

16:00 Sun, 27 Nov 2016

Digging this thread back up to warn people that the road between East Leake and West Leake is closed for work on the railway bridge. The TT circuit is unaffected (the closure is after the Dark Lane junction), but on the routes like the club commute people will need to go straight on at the Star pub and detour via Brickyard Lane.

Not sure exactly how long it's closed for (the signs and the council website give different dates), but will be most of the summer at least.

richard_a

10:07 Wed, 28 Jun 2017

Not exactly a road, but the path through at the end of Thane Road (near the Boots HQ) that drops down to the canal is closed for the foreseeable future. This gets used a lot on the routes back from the tues/thurs chaingang and also many club rides that return home from the Bridgford/Ruddington direction.
You can still get onto the canal but you need to turn right just about opposite the entrance to the Power Soccer League.

Jim7

10:41 Wed, 28 Jun 2017

One more for the list this morning - Manystones Lane is closed at the Brassington junction (on the sportive route, above Wirksworth). They were digging a big trench in the road and you couldn't get through unless you were willing to carry your bike about 500 yards. Looks like pretty major work, best avoided for at least a few weeks.

Also, they've chip-and-sealed the main road up from Trowell through Ilkeston, all the way to the cross-roads at Stanley Common. 🙄 No road markings most of the way, tons of loose gravel, etc. Traffic should sweep it clean in a week or two, but it's horrible at the moment.

richard_a

12:17 Sat, 15 Jul 2017

On a positive note, Lawn lane from Six hills lane down to Station road, Old dalby has been properly resurfaced, if you want to see how it should be done and enjoy a fast, smooth descent get there whilst its fresh!
I wonder how much more that costs per mile than chipping?

richardb

14:59 Sat, 15 Jul 2017

It's really, really nice, especially coming back with a tailwind.

grayble

18:01 Sat, 15 Jul 2017

Good intel thanks.

macca

11:43 Mon, 17 Jul 2017

More good news.
Via Gellia is closed to traffic for 50 metres at the Cromford end, but passable on foot. Very quiet, I rode up to Longcliffe and only had one car pass me!
Lovely.

richardb

12:14 Sat, 14 Oct 2017

Login to Comment

All General Discussions