For the climbers

richard_a

21:58 Sat, 24 Sep 2016

Simon Warren, of "100 Climbs" fame, has a new book out this week - Cycling Climbs of the Midlands. It follows the same format as the previous books, but obviously has a much larger selection of local hills for us. Many are well known, but there are a few in there that were new to me.

Of the 75 climbs in the book I reckon about 20 are reachable within a couple of hours, and more than half are within range if you push the distance up to 80-100 miles (round-trip). The hardest rating goes to Abdon Burf over in Shropshire, which looks spectacular - a closed-to-traffic road up to a radio mast at over 500m above sea level. Unfortunately it's 85 miles from here one-way, but might be on the list for a club ride next summer...

I won't ruin the man's sales by listing them all on a public website, but suffice to say that it's a decent purchase if you're keen on climbing, or even if you're just looking for ideas for new roads to ride.

richard_a

21:58 Sat, 24 Sep 2016

Purchased, thanks for the heads up

George

23:03 Sat, 24 Sep 2016

I bet it doesn't mention the fearsome 'Asda bridge'
https://www.strava.com/segments/1355670

julianb

10:59 Sun, 25 Sep 2016

Funnily enough... :-)

I think the nearest to here in the book is George's Lane between Calverton & Arnold, followed by Beacon Hill (just beyond Loughborough).

richard_a

17:30 Sun, 25 Sep 2016

thanks Richard, might have to buy it - see how much i "enjoy" Crich first though!

sally

10:37 Mon, 26 Sep 2016

Julian, thanks for that link. I totally forgot I had a KOM on this seg, albeit joint (drafting cars I find helps!)

GT

16:22 Tue, 27 Sep 2016

Note to self; make even shorter strava segment from garage door to end of drive.

Jim7

9:35 Thu, 29 Sep 2016

That's a classic from days of yore.

julianb

15:18 Thu, 29 Sep 2016

Thanks for the tip-off. Got the first two 100 climbs books, nice to have some more local ones brought to the attention.

PeteR

1:14 Sun, 9 Oct 2016

After today I can confirm that the climb to Abdon Burf includes the most horrendous half mile of tarmac I've ever seen. And also the steepest cattle grid. The view from the top is well worth the effort though.

richard_a

23:36 Mon, 3 Jul 2017

There's now a Strava/VeloViewer leaderboard for the climbs in the Midlands book:
http://veloviewer.com/segmentHunterSeries/19

richard_a

14:47 Tue, 1 Aug 2017

Login to Comment

All General Discussions