The Unofficial Club Sportive 2017

mikew

12:23 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

CHOOSE PREFERRED DATES HERE: http://doodle.com/poll/uf4aqbupv4dykzd2

The 2017 fallow year, seems like a good enough excuse to slot this one into proceedings :-)

Same awesome Peak goodness brought to you with the same intimate Peak knowledge.

* Same 3 comparable distances to the usual.
* Same sort of mid June time I'd suggest.
* Same start at Ilkeston Rd rec.
* Same mental profiles, except the shortest which is kept fairly sensible.

* No food.
* No signs.
* No fee.
* No obligation.

Mapping GPS essential, or staying with someone who's got one.

Cafes on route and Strava segments that take that into account.
I'll also mark all calorie retailers on the map.

mikew

12:23 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

I'm in. Would be happy with the existing routes - I've never done the long - but north sounds interesting too. Where do you have in mind? Winnats? Froggatt? Or further?

Date-wise I think the only non-starter is Sat 10th June, as that clashes with the Women's Tour stage in the Peak. The racing fraternity may have other restrictions though.

richard_a

13:40 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

Well you can't please all I'll be guided on date after half term. Beauty of it is that we can postpone easily for bad weather. What's not to like?

mikew

14:08 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

Clue's in the picture

mikew

14:10 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

Welcome back Mike.
Great plan, I'll be along for the long all being well.

richardb

14:41 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

Sounds good!

will

18:45 Sun, 16 Apr 2017

Thanks guys for the welcomes back I've had. Very much appreciated! Just hopes it's more than a flash in the pan!!

Hope this gets more interested. Whoever does it won't be disappointed!

mikew

21:32 Mon, 17 Apr 2017

Welcome back. Sounds great Mike.

richO

15:34 Wed, 19 Apr 2017

is it off road?

markn

16:29 Wed, 19 Apr 2017

"...some bridleway sections..." 😉

richard_a

16:47 Wed, 19 Apr 2017

I think it might have the tiniest bit, probably the mildest I've done. Will see, I've got a route idea, but want to spend a bit more time looking at it.

mikew

22:20 Wed, 19 Apr 2017

Mark won't be interested these days unless there's at least 20km off-road.

Then again, a lot of the "roads" Mike likes aren't all that different to single-track... ;-)

richard_a

22:26 Wed, 19 Apr 2017

I'm keen if I'm about then!

izzywildchild

11:06 Fri, 21 Apr 2017

Great news. looking forward to it. When a date gets confirmed we may flip some burgers at the end or some nutritious delights as a welcome back. Nice and easy going.

macca

13:22 Fri, 21 Apr 2017

That'd be gr8 John, but it would be good to keep it super flexible wrt the weather.

mikew

14:07 Fri, 21 Apr 2017

Sure thing easy going is the theme.

macca

15:38 Sat, 22 Apr 2017

Will you include the line

"in keeping with the local topography but not gratuitously so"

...or are we going for gratuitious gradient inclusion?

I'm up for it. Sooner you tell us the date the better as I can block the day (or maybe weekend) off on the calendar.

Mat

14:44 Mon, 24 Apr 2017

I can't do gratuitous anymore Mat :(
It'll just be (my) standard fare.

Shall we say Sat 17th June ?

I'll leave that there for a bit, then put up another post for that date, can easily change it over next month or so, if anyone is screaming. But if it pisses it down on the 17th, I'm not riding it, since I have gone soft. Just postpone it a bit.

mikew

18:01 Mon, 24 Apr 2017

If it's the 17th in afraid I'm out, Aubrey's birthday is the 16th so we're doing something on the Saturday, I have Woodhall Spa tri Sunday morning too.

will

6:18 Tue, 25 Apr 2017

I'll do an online votey thing...

mikew

9:36 Tue, 25 Apr 2017

If you want to do this, fill this doobery in

http://doodle.com/poll/uf4aqbupv4dykzd2

mikew

10:08 Tue, 25 Apr 2017

That's a neat little app.

grayble

17:35 Tue, 25 Apr 2017

Great just put my dates in.
When a date gets fixed we can spread the word to all members.

macca

11:55 Wed, 26 Apr 2017

If anyone hasn't voted, get going, I'll pick the date end of this month.

http://doodle.com/poll/uf4aqbupv4dykzd2

mikew

9:50 Thu, 27 Apr 2017

Might be worth posting the vote as an 'event' on 30/4/17 if you want votes in by then. I don't think everyone reads all of the threads on here so it could easily get missed.

Jim7

11:11 Thu, 27 Apr 2017

good idea, not that it's critical, it's looking like the popular 24th June, which is good as gives plenty of rescheduling time if it's nasty

mikew

11:31 Thu, 27 Apr 2017

Mike, if it's decided that 24th June is the big day, myself and wife will be able to provide a mini feed station along the route if you want. I can't ride that day as I'm doing the Great Notts ride the next day, but would like to help out.

Jonathan H

10:31 Sun, 30 Apr 2017

Hi I did vote but not sure if I can change it. I can't do the 24th June but the others I selected are correct!

Ant

14:10 Sun, 30 Apr 2017

Hi Jonathan, that is VERY kind of you, but I was thinking of keeping it really low key. And with 3 routes it'd be impossible to locate really. I'll be providing all the cafe and store details, and folk should be able to carry enough calories tbh. Also funding would be tricky with no fee, and that I'm opening up outside the club. Nice thought though, thanks.

mikew

20:34 Sun, 30 Apr 2017

At the moment I have a 119, 86 & 56 miler in draft that are looking pretty damned special. The 56 has a Hinderstich substitute :-)
They all have gruelling climbs and many long beautiful descents with little braking. There's some massive smiles to be had here, and plenty of grimaces too :-/ No mans lane is out, sod that, let's cut to the chase, straight out through Ilko. Profile above to wet your whistle...

mikew

21:49 Sun, 30 Apr 2017

Stanage? ;-)

How much climbing in that profile Mike? Looks even more than the existing long route...

richard_a

9:52 Mon, 1 May 2017

PS. As I discovered at the weekend, they've chip-and-sealed the road from Trowell to Ilkeston. New surface is horrible, with loads of loose chippings, and currently doesn't have any road markings either. Should be fine by June, but at the moment I'd avoid unless people want to scratch up their lovely shiny bikes.

richard_a

9:52 Mon, 1 May 2017

Oh joy of all the roads. Artery to the Peak. Still it is super busy so be fine in a week.

Ascent will be comparable. Basically you go up somut big and come all the way down again, repeat lots till home.

mikew

21:13 Mon, 1 May 2017

Okay, it's 24th June folks, weather permitting

Added here: http://beeston.cc/events/event/?id=3261
And here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/176658159188122/

mikew

21:55 Mon, 1 May 2017

Any chance of some more details here (or on the ride page), for those of us not on Facebook?

richard_a

9:24 Tue, 2 May 2017

It'll be in both places as and when Richard, there's nothing more on FB.
I think I shall do a bit of a double check (ride) of a few things, then put out the full details. Might not be for couple of weeks though. But yes you can safely say that Stanage is a small part of the long one.

mikew

9:34 Tue, 2 May 2017

Bugger!

Ah well... Next year...

Enjoy.

Mat

22:01 Tue, 2 May 2017

I was considering a race on 25th June but this looks much more fun!
Tempted though I am by the 119 miles, think I will be sensible and do the 86 :)
That way my legs will be back within a week I hope !

sally

9:30 Fri, 5 May 2017

I was considering a race on 25th June but this looks much more fun!
Tempted though I am by the 119 miles, think I will be sensible and do the 86 :)
That way my legs will be back within a week I hope !

sally

9:30 Fri, 5 May 2017

Right they are still tough, but I've gone easy on you I reckon. And you've got off very lightly in Ashover Land! And you were all going up Alderwasley, but I didn't want that gratuitous word bandied about.

Short - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20350417
Medium - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20975093
Long - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20346413

mikew

21:13 Wed, 10 May 2017

Long route looks good to me.

Never mind Alderwasley though - the short route goes up Riber! Anyone riding that is in for a very rude awakening when they get to Matlock...

richard_a

23:37 Wed, 10 May 2017

Great looking routes and I'm loving the food stop icons.

grayble

7:26 Thu, 11 May 2017

I need to get back into some club rides, it's been a while, I'll look out for some gentle paced social rides on here but this looks a nice one to add into the calendar, I may pinch one of those routes for this weekend, didn't even know you could add food stop icons on the routes, very nice.

Jason

8:44 Thu, 11 May 2017

I think we've gone a long way from the come and try it mantra Richard!
You should keep them fresh for the 24th Jason

mikew

9:59 Thu, 11 May 2017

The short route for me, looking forward to Riber! I think.
Welcome back Mike;-)

macca

13:51 Tue, 23 May 2017

Mike - is there any chance you could stick "reduced to 500 points" .tcx files somewhere we can grab? The full route files are too big for my "older" Garmin to cope with, and apparently you need a paid account on RideWithGPS to compress files.

richard_a

23:15 Wed, 24 May 2017

Buy a better Garmin ;-)

DarrenC

9:10 Thu, 25 May 2017

Not sure any new Garmin model has enough battery life to get me round this...🙄

richard_a

9:22 Thu, 25 May 2017

Mine does

DarrenC

10:09 Thu, 25 May 2017

Yes I will supply all this. I'll be back on the case with details early June.

Thinking 8am kick off. If there are a lot of people and I do hope there's 100s! then I'm going to set folk off individually at short intervals, allows easy regroup naturally into smaller groups up the road. As impressive as a 200 strong group through Ilkeston would be...

If anyone could share the details in any other FB groups etc I've missed that would be great...

mikew

11:14 Thu, 25 May 2017

Richard I haven't got a premium account, but I've posted the files on FB. You can convert them for your bespoke needs. What Garmin have you got. My 800 works fine with the RWGPS' full TCX - in fact I find it the best implementation of TCX.

mikew

15:22 Mon, 29 May 2017

All the routes here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sqchp2rqziijdcg/bcc-2017-sportive-routes.zip?dl=0

mikew

15:26 Mon, 29 May 2017

Thanks Mike.

My Garmin is an old Edge 200. Still works great and the battery lasts forever, but the memory is more limited than the higher-end Garmins so it sometimes throws a wobbly with large route files. GPX should be fine if the TCX is too large though.

richard_a

21:39 Mon, 29 May 2017

Richard -- If you upload the route to gpsies.com, that site has a route simplification tool that reduces the number of points (without messing the route up). I often do it on larger routes with my 500, otherwise it just goes blank at random points. Might work well for your 200.

I would like a bigger better Garmin (with maps) but can't justify the expense (at least until my 500 dies).

Adrian O

8:57 Tue, 30 May 2017

Is there any chance of someone putting the GPX files on the on the BCC site as having a few problems getting them of Facebook.

steve1972

12:17 Wed, 31 May 2017

You should be able to get them off that dropbox link a couple of entries above Steve.

But talking about gpx files on the BCC site, didn't there use to be a 'route library' on the website for all to use and share? If so, can we have that again??

Jim7

16:00 Wed, 31 May 2017

I should be able to make this now.
Not sure how my body is gonna react to sitting in the saddle for longer than an hour though......

markn

11:32 Mon, 12 Jun 2017

Don't worry Mark, you'll be out of the saddle for most of it ;-)

newsonoid

19:09 Tue, 13 Jun 2017

no doubt.... either that or wheel sucking like a pro :-)

markn

15:57 Wed, 14 Jun 2017

Had little tumble hope to set folk off but worse case I think you can manage

mikew

17:52 Sun, 18 Jun 2017

Best wishes Mike.

richard_a

19:30 Sun, 18 Jun 2017

Fantastic day out in the Peak today. Seven of us the the long route in the end, and it was superb - fabulous route, good weather, just a great day all round. Huge thanks to Mike for the route and the organisation. 👍🏻

richard_a

17:41 Sat, 24 Jun 2017

Just taken this image from the rides post so that we don't lose it.
Brilliant news!

macca

19:47 Sat, 24 Jun 2017

A brilliant day out. I think the route exceeded expectations. Mike somehow managed to create a route through the Peak with lots of lovely lanes but also a succession of excellent descents, some that seemed to go on forever. Big smiles - and grimaces too of course.

grayble

8:24 Sun, 25 Jun 2017

Thanks all, glad it went down well. Seems a fair few of the stops I knew about got used too.
Real shame about the Abney section, that would have been the single best bit. I recommend you go check it out once it's been fixed, even though it will forgo its cul-de-sac status.
Disappointed it wasn't more popular though, don't really understand that. I've got plenty of follows on my FB group and it was circulated amongst most local clubs too. Oh well.

mikew

16:23 Sun, 25 Jun 2017

Thanks Mike. I thought the route was a little less brutal than the old long sportive, but the new one is better to ride. Longstone Edge and Stanage were both spectacular, and the long descents in the second half were great.

As for popularity, quite a few did the medium and short too - there were about 15 of us at the start, but i don't know exact numbers. I think a lot of people chose today's Great Notts 100 instead though. Absolutely no contest in my book, but some weird people just don't like hills. 🙄

richard_a

17:02 Sun, 25 Jun 2017

I'm gutted I missed it, I'm sure I'll get more time again soon...

I know the Great Notts does get a lot of club riders out, dull though isn't it?!

will

9:01 Tue, 27 Jun 2017

Login to Comment

All General Discussions

Upcoming Rides/Events

Coffee Morning

DarrenC 6:50 AM Fri, 21 Jul

Flat 50

Jim7 9:00 AM Sat, 22 Jul

Kidi Killer audax

sally 9:00 AM Sat, 22 Jul

Bakewell Hills