Stolen bike

leeb21

11:04 Mon, 15 May 2017

Hello All,

Quick note to say I had my bike stolen last night from a locked bike shed with bike chained to a ground anchor. Stolen from our house Upper Broughton.

Bike is fairly rare Storck Scenario CD1.0 (2008) carbon frame, black with Shimano Dura Ace / uUtegra mix groupset, Syntace bars and seat post and Pacenti rims on Industry nine hubs. Only picture I can find is quite old, but shows the bike with Topolino wheels, which were also stolen.

Doubt it'll be seen again, but as it's a fairly distinct bike/spec, you never know....

leeb21

11:04 Mon, 15 May 2017

Bad news Lee, sounds like you couldn't have done much more, other than sleep with it. Condolences.

Forced shed entry, cordless angle grinder to the chain, croppers? Any garden gate had to get over with it, or other weak point in boundary? Possibly they saw you with it at property beforehand...

mikew

12:38 Mon, 15 May 2017

Hi Mike, thanks for the note. Graham also said I should've slept with it! I suspect it's been 'marked' as our property and drive is such that you need to know something about the layout. I was actually out on my bike yesterday, so I don't know if I have been seen/followed.

The shed is metal and padlocked with a chain around the door handles - the padlock is nowhere to be seen so they might have taken it with them or chucked it after. The chains securing my bike and wheels(s) have clearly been cut most likely with bolt cutters - I am pretty sure we would have heard an angle grinder.

Just waiting on the police to check it out. All insured, so I hope I can replace it, but I can't get that bike agiain! Have worked on and built up that bike several times over the years.

leeb21

13:30 Mon, 15 May 2017

That's awful, can't see how it could be anything other than someone targeting you, at least there's no excuse for the insurance to pay out.

I've been tempted to fit a camera in the shed the same as the one in Aubrey's room, it's on the wifi so you can check it anywhere, it can be set to send motion or sound alerts and save a snapshot and has night vision. You can talk through it too.

will

21:30 Mon, 15 May 2017

Upsetting story. Bikes are so.personal as you build them up and add new componentry. Gutted for you Lee... At least you'll be able to do some shopping.

Will - interested in the camera option for.my shed. Looking into it.

Mat

5:57 Tue, 16 May 2017

We've got this one;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LFNBO2O/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1494913549&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=motorola+camera&dpPl=1&dpID=31ompyFYEgL&ref=plSrch

Just checked and if you want motion defection to automatically record video to the cloud it's a 29 a year subscription, otherwise it'll just send an alert to your phone and you can record manually.

will

6:49 Tue, 16 May 2017

Sorry to hear the news Lee.

markn

21:01 Tue, 16 May 2017

Gutted for you Lee, really special bike that.

richardb

6:25 Wed, 17 May 2017

That's terrible, and more upsetting that you have been personally targeted....
Hope it hasn't upset the rest of your family.

sally

16:57 Thu, 18 May 2017

At least there is a bucket ton of amazing "new" bike to chose the new one from #brightside

markn

12:34 Fri, 19 May 2017

Hello All,
Thanks for the comments.

Sally - yes, family all well. Ellie has offered to save her pocket to get me a new bike!

On the new bike front the choice is quite bewildering. Any suggestions?!

I am still not sure what the insurance will come up with - I'd be keen to get a frameset and build up the bike myself, as I did with stolen one. That said, companies like Canyon offer seemingly very good complete bikes with decent components at a price that can't really be beaten.

leeb21

8:28 Sat, 20 May 2017

Just get one of these and be done with it;
http://www.cyclingweekly.com/reviews/adventure-road-bikes/open-up
Pure road riding is so 2012 😜

markn

9:12 Sat, 20 May 2017

Bit too 'left field' for me.... !

https://g.co/kgs/WF3ahi

leeb21

9:51 Sat, 20 May 2017

👍🏻

markn

10:44 Sat, 20 May 2017

You can't really go wrong with most of the big brands these days, but in most cases you're buying a complete bike rather than a frameset.

If I had a decent (insurance?) budget and wanted a frameset to build, I'd struggle to look past a Mason. Thought for a more traditional look (no disc brakes) the Bowman Layhams looks beautiful too.

richard_a

9:18 Sun, 21 May 2017

Any news Lee?

macca

8:54 Thu, 8 Jun 2017

Not much John. Certainly nothing on the stolen bike. Have spent a couple of hundred quid beefing up my security with a new 16 mm chain, locks and ground anchor from 'Pragmasis'.

My insurance company have been good and 'approved' my claim in full, however, the company then tasked with resolving/valuing the claim have, at best, been frustrating. Almost 3 weeks of the company failing to respond to my questions / queries, being told 'how busy they are' never mangaging to speak to anyone who knows about bicycles and finally giving me a settlement figure not much more than half the amount I am claiming.

That was Thursday - so, a 5 minutes call back to my insurance company to get confirmation that it will be paid in full - they have been great! So, now at the loss adjuster who are going to instruct the assessor / valuer to pay up to the full amount of my claim.

leeb21

6:11 Sat, 10 Jun 2017

...and on the shopping front. What you been looking at?

Mat

12:58 Sun, 11 Jun 2017

Well, I have had lots of suggestions for steel and while I am tempted I am going to leave the excitement of steel tubing, welds, lugs etc, for when I am nearer retirement age. For now I am going frivolous, youth and not at all matched by riding ability - Canyon Ultimate SLX 8.0. Can't find a Storck that I like for less than 5K, which is my insurance limit. Also, replacing my custom build wheels -I9 hubs on Pacenti Forza rims.

leeb21

14:08 Sun, 11 Jun 2017

Frivolous youth, I like it.
Steel is forgiving with all the blasted pot holes.
It is very frustrating spending all that time trying to get what you are owed, time you don't get back.

macca

9:40 Mon, 12 Jun 2017

I like the Aeroad more I think but they're lovely looking bikes, not quite as special as the Storck though :(

will

13:47 Wed, 14 Jun 2017

Lee,
i'll have a rare, if slightly elderly carbon road bike for sale in a couple of weeks - it'll be considerably less than your insurance pay out too ;-)

markn

16:01 Wed, 14 Jun 2017

Login to Comment

All General Discussions

Upcoming Rides/Events

Coffee Morning

DarrenC 6:50 AM Fri, 21 Jul

Flat 50

Jim7 9:00 AM Sat, 22 Jul

Kidi Killer audax

sally 9:00 AM Sat, 22 Jul

Bakewell Hills