Ride Type Filter

George

21:07 Thu, 1 Jun 2017

I appreciate that this club includes a myriad of different riders from Cross racers, TT'ers, road racers, social riders and a couple of strange mtb'ers. And while it's great that we enter a lot of events as a club it does make it very hard to actually pick out a normal club ride. I can imagine it may also look fairly odd for newer or potential members when there are literally 7 pages of rides posted up where only a handful of those involve riding your bike solely for the pleasure of it and not competing.

I realise the counter arguement is 'post your rides'.... they do get posted. But generally there will be 1, maybe 2 social rides a weekend, the Wednesday chaingang and the costa commute. In contrast there are generally 10+ race events. So often a social ride for next week is somewhere on page 2 (which is unlikely to get viewed) and if you try and arrange something for 2/3 weeks time etc it could be page 4 which frankly no one looks at (the rights and wrongs of not scrolling through 6/7 pages of rides are irrelevant, the fact is people generally don't).

So can we have a filter or something please, even if it's just 2 different pages for racers/social riders or a drop down list that filters by category that the event creator sets. Alternative ideas/discussion appreciated.

George

21:07 Thu, 1 Jun 2017

Seconded.
And while we're at it - can we have a route library too?

Jim7

21:46 Thu, 1 Jun 2017

Totally agree, I've spoken to a couple of people not in the club who seemed to think we were all about racing from the website. Obviously its part of what we do but I think either a filter or a separate page for races and rides would make things easier to find what you're after. And I'd also love to a see a library everyone could upload GPX routes too, sortable by distance, climbing etc

robtop

22:08 Thu, 1 Jun 2017

Every old ride on the website is still there - the "rides and events" page is essentially a searchable database of every route the club has ever ridden. Couple that with Strava - you can turn anyone's ride into a route - and you have an almost limitless route library. .

PS. Mike has a Google map of bike-friendly cafes too: click here.

richard_a

22:15 Thu, 1 Jun 2017

Maybe its just me but I quite enjoy doing new rides to different places, I reckon a library would make me lazy and I would just pick out from there instead of trying somewhere new.

George

22:27 Thu, 1 Jun 2017

Maybe it would be useful to have an info page, serving the same sort of purpose as a 'sticky' on a forum. Info about how and where to search and edit rides and no doubt a few other things too such as links to useful info like uploading free garmin maps. It would be useful for all of us but especially for new members.

grayble

7:13 Fri, 2 Jun 2017

Great points. I totally agree as discussed with a few of you. We'll be having an exec meeting soon so I'll make sure it goes onto our agenda.

RichO

19:10 Sat, 3 Jun 2017

I have sent this post to our web programmer and will use this a starting point to explore options. Thanks for the feedback.

macca

9:05 Thu, 8 Jun 2017

Hello all... the filter should be straight forward to add. Would it just be the two options: races/social or would there be the need for more? If more options needed would multi selection be possible?

The past event library would not have the category info to filter as it would be manually selected on event creation.

The GPX ride library would be trickier to add. The current maps are directly related (loaded each time) to each event created. None of the actual data like distance or climbing from the maps is interpreted or saved so sorting by these would mean starting again with the map system. That's not to say it's impossible. If we did create a ride map library (separate from the event lib) you would then have the opportunity to simply link new events to an existing map - saving you the job of uploading a map each time. Also whilst looking at a map it could show all the past and future rides related to that map, meaning you could easily search future events by distance and climb also. Let me know what you think?

John could you give me a nudge when there is some feedback on this... thanks.

web_developer

10:06 Thu, 8 Jun 2017

Will do Tom.

macca

10:13 Thu, 8 Jun 2017

Personally I am fine with just a simple filter, race and social, the drop down filter thing needs to be clear so that new members (both potential racers and social riders) don't miss it.

George

19:39 Mon, 12 Jun 2017

Yep. Just filtering out all of the races is enough.
I think the 'default' option should show any ride that any member can join - social, TT, chaingang, inbetweener etc - and then the racegoers should have to use the drop down.

The ride library sounds like it might be expensive and fiddly so probably not important enough to persist with.

Jim7

20:41 Mon, 12 Jun 2017

There is actually a "ride type" drop down on the "Add new ride" page already - options are "Normal" or "Racing". Not sure anyone actually uses it though, as the races don't appear any differently on the list of events.

richard_a

21:04 Mon, 12 Jun 2017

The existing filter enables the race posts to be filtered to the race page. We are just finalising the new filter request with Tom our web programmer. Thanks for all your feedback. I am thinking we could name 'social' as 'ride'?

macca

7:25 Tue, 13 Jun 2017

Yes that would make more sense!

Jim7

8:46 Tue, 13 Jun 2017

Think you need the now typical adhoc tag system like... erm... bunch.cc
Then you won't need any further dev

mikew

9:13 Tue, 13 Jun 2017

Oooh, shiny. The new flag icon things on the ride list look very cool. 👍🏻

richard_a

10:24 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

I can see the filter on the actual rides/events page but is it possible to also change the home page so that only the social rides appear there?
Or is it just me that only looks at the home page to see what's coming up and not at the actual rides/events page??

Jim7

10:54 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

+1

markn

10:55 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

I will speak with Tom the web programmer later.
Cheers

macca

12:41 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

Perfect!

Jim7

13:50 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

+1 :-)

markn

15:22 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

This now works well for viewers on the home page.
Also the you can further filter on http://www.beeston.cc/events/

macca

16:42 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

Looks good, thanks

George

17:41 Mon, 19 Jun 2017

Thanks, that works really well

robtop

7:50 Tue, 20 Jun 2017

Thumbs up!

newsonoid

9:27 Tue, 20 Jun 2017