Idea to spend some of the club's cash

Jim7

16:21 Wed, 20 Dec 2017

I've often thought about doing something a bit more long distance and over a few days - LEJOG / Coast to Coast etc - but the logistics always get in the way and the idea gets canned.
John was asking for ideas at the AGM to spend some of the club's money well, how about supporting a ride like this? If the club could pay for a minibus (for members and kit), a trailer (for bikes) and a driver then it becomes possible. It could be open to any members, everyone pays their own way - food, accommodation etc - but the driver gets it for free.

Before you say it, I know you can do coast to coast in a day, and I realise LEJOG is maybe a bit of an ask time-wise to be attractive to many riders, but I'm sure we could work out a long weekend kind of trip for next summer if there were a few interested.

Any thoughts?

Jim7

16:21 Wed, 20 Dec 2017

What about a discount on some club clothing, then everyone can benefit from club funds, it has worked for other clubs, timewise, I cannot afford a week to go cycling, so I feel that this is for a minority of club members.

Phil S

6:38 Thu, 21 Dec 2017

I have done Coast to Coast with 3 sleepovers! Drive up on Friday to west coast, arrive in Whitby Sunday, fish and chips for tea - obvs , then drive back on Monday.
Cant remember name of company but they collected us in Mickleover, and did transfers of luggage, mini bus and trailer for bikes.

sally

9:35 Thu, 21 Dec 2017

Exactly. I did say a long weekend rather than a week and I'm pretty sure most people can get a day or two off work if they really want to do something like this.
In any case, it's just an idea and it doesn't have to be the only one - I don't want any club kit for example but I wouldn't be against Phil's idea if it suits others (although it does seem to penalise those that have paid full price for their kit but that's another matter).

Jim7

10:03 Thu, 21 Dec 2017

Subsidised cycle insurance,
Club tool kit (bearing presses etc) track the locations/handovers on the website (show last user),
Subsidise younger members membership and event entry fees.
Quarterly club rides to cafe where the club pays for the cake. NOT SOCIAL RIDES, should only be for members.
Social evenings at the pub where the club pays for the first drink, it may get more people out.
Club water bottles for everyone that attends the AGM.

George

16:17 Thu, 21 Dec 2017

like your thinking George!

sally

19:46 Thu, 21 Dec 2017

Mudguards for everyone?

markn

8:50 Fri, 22 Dec 2017

+1 for Mark's suggestion. :-)

richard_a

15:05 Fri, 22 Dec 2017

+1 for Mark
Also like the thinking behind George's suggestions because they are about investing in the club, either in kit or in encouraging participation. Having some shared tools, the ones that you'll rarely ever use, seems like a good idea.
It would also be nice to think that one day in the future the club might have a youth section and/or a Go-Ride program. That would be something worth investing in.

grayble

18:05 Sat, 23 Dec 2017

Free beer at Club Social events. 😁

climberruss

18:18 Sat, 23 Dec 2017

At the AGM there was discussion of being able to pay a bit more in subs and getting a club jersey in the deal. Has this gone any further?
I also like George's ideas.

Curtis C

12:19 Wed, 27 Dec 2017

The club trailer probably needs replacing, anything to help families get kids out is good. I think the original one came ex-hire from Carsington, courtesy of Paul Hunt.

mikew

23:08 Mon, 1 Jan 2018

We will raise all of these at the next exec meeting.

macca

16:01 Wed, 3 Jan 2018

+1 mark !
Along the theme George had. If not lejog then maybe support members at tour of cambridge, or one of the early season classics (thinking Paris Roubaix, LBL, Flanders) track sessions.

Phil G

18:29 Fri, 5 Jan 2018

How did we get on with the club kiddy trailer idea? Putting back in ethos at the most basic level!

mikew

19:56 Fri, 15 Jun 2018

We are really thankful for the current trailer, it is great! I need to look at trying to fix the emergency clip on it which is kind of broke but itís still going strong, although well used!

Ant

13:53 Sun, 17 Jun 2018

And the supported ride idea??

Jim7

14:55 Sun, 17 Jun 2018

Login to Comment

All General Discussions