Idea to spend some of the club's cash

Jim7

16:21 Wed, 20 Dec 2017


I've often thought about doing something a bit more long distance and over a few days - LEJOG / Coast to Coast etc - but the logistics always get in the way and the idea gets canned.
John was asking for ideas at the AGM to spend some of the club's money well, how about supporting a ride like this? If the club could pay for a minibus (for members and kit), a trailer (for bikes) and a driver then it becomes possible. It could be open to any members, everyone pays their own way - food, accommodation etc - but the driver gets it for free.

Before you say it, I know you can do coast to coast in a day, and I realise LEJOG is maybe a bit of an ask time-wise to be attractive to many riders, but I'm sure we could work out a long weekend kind of trip for next summer if there were a few interested.

Any thoughts?

Jim7

16:21 Wed, 20 Dec 2017


What about a discount on some club clothing, then everyone can benefit from club funds, it has worked for other clubs, timewise, I cannot afford a week to go cycling, so I feel that this is for a minority of club members.

Phil S

6:38 Thu, 21 Dec 2017


I have done Coast to Coast with 3 sleepovers! Drive up on Friday to west coast, arrive in Whitby Sunday, fish and chips for tea - obvs , then drive back on Monday.
Cant remember name of company but they collected us in Mickleover, and did transfers of luggage, mini bus and trailer for bikes.

sally

9:35 Thu, 21 Dec 2017


Exactly. I did say a long weekend rather than a week and I'm pretty sure most people can get a day or two off work if they really want to do something like this.
In any case, it's just an idea and it doesn't have to be the only one - I don't want any club kit for example but I wouldn't be against Phil's idea if it suits others (although it does seem to penalise those that have paid full price for their kit but that's another matter).

Jim7

10:03 Thu, 21 Dec 2017


Subsidised cycle insurance,
Club tool kit (bearing presses etc) track the locations/handovers on the website (show last user),
Subsidise younger members membership and event entry fees.
Quarterly club rides to cafe where the club pays for the cake. NOT SOCIAL RIDES, should only be for members.
Social evenings at the pub where the club pays for the first drink, it may get more people out.
Club water bottles for everyone that attends the AGM.

George

16:17 Thu, 21 Dec 2017


like your thinking George!

sally

19:46 Thu, 21 Dec 2017


Mudguards for everyone?

markn

8:50 Fri, 22 Dec 2017


+1 for Mark's suggestion. :-)

richard_a

15:05 Fri, 22 Dec 2017


+1 for Mark
Also like the thinking behind George's suggestions because they are about investing in the club, either in kit or in encouraging participation. Having some shared tools, the ones that you'll rarely ever use, seems like a good idea.
It would also be nice to think that one day in the future the club might have a youth section and/or a Go-Ride program. That would be something worth investing in.

grayble

18:05 Sat, 23 Dec 2017


Free beer at Club Social events. 😁

climberruss

18:18 Sat, 23 Dec 2017


At the AGM there was discussion of being able to pay a bit more in subs and getting a club jersey in the deal. Has this gone any further?
I also like George's ideas.

Curtis C

12:19 Wed, 27 Dec 2017


The club trailer probably needs replacing, anything to help families get kids out is good. I think the original one came ex-hire from Carsington, courtesy of Paul Hunt.

mikew

23:08 Mon, 1 Jan 2018


We will raise all of these at the next exec meeting.

macca

16:01 Wed, 3 Jan 2018


+1 mark !
Along the theme George had. If not lejog then maybe support members at tour of cambridge, or one of the early season classics (thinking Paris Roubaix, LBL, Flanders) track sessions.

Phil G

18:29 Fri, 5 Jan 2018


How did we get on with the club kiddy trailer idea? Putting back in ethos at the most basic level!

mikew

19:56 Fri, 15 Jun 2018


We are really thankful for the current trailer, it is great! I need to look at trying to fix the emergency clip on it which is kind of broke but it’s still going strong, although well used!

Ant

13:53 Sun, 17 Jun 2018


And the supported ride idea??

Jim7

14:55 Sun, 17 Jun 2018


some cyclocross skills training!

Louise O

12:48 Tue, 26 Jun 2018


How about some posters/artwork either advertising the club in Beeston or just promoting cycling in the community.
Alternatively, what about an event giving accessibility to those unable to normally participate. For example the charity CP Sport.

Mark D

18:50 Fri, 26 Oct 2018


Thank you for all your current thoughts there are a great variety.

It was agreed at the exec meeting that we should consider suggestions that will benefit all members so with this in mind we decided to consider:

Having some shared tools, plus ones that you'll rarely ever use. We would need someone to compile a list and get quotes. Also we will need to manage tracking these. They can be stored in our Lock up. We would need someone experienced in mechanics to compile the list of tools and costs.

Quarterly club rides to cafe where the club pays for the cake. for all members who attend. This will be structured to allow different routes for social riders to longer distance riders. Would someone like to plan this?

Club trailer
We appreciate that a club trailer is only useful for families but
the trailer is a great family asset and much appreciated by members and it would be worthwhile investigating repair costs. As club funds would be used it was suggested that if it is affordable that the repaired trailer should be available to all members that wish to borrow it. Therefore a lending procedure would need to be established rather than it be held by one member until their child grows out of it. While it is not being used it can be stored at the club lock up. Would anyone be prepared to investigate repair costs.
Alternatively if the repairs are too expensive there could be grounds to purchase a new one.
Would someone more experienced be prepared to benchmark repair versus new? As a quick guide Halfords are currently selling a Bellelli Bike Taxi Child Bike Trailer £200
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/child-bike-seats-trailers/bellelli-bike-taxi-child-bike-trailer

Surplus BCC water bottles to be given to members at events such as the AGM.

All the other ideas have great merit and we would ask that they be planned out and costed so that we can consider them.

macca

16:48 Sat, 27 Oct 2018


I can tell you now as I have it in storage. The trailer is not viable for any repair. It is generally deteriorated in all aspects. However it is still quite useable. Just UV effect on all of its nylon takes its toll. I’ve just serviced the quick releases. Last time I fixed the tow arm pivot. Buy a new one, it’s time is nigh. Anyone with kids come use it let ‘em get wet wind & rain just makes ‘em tough. Mine whooped with joy to see it again having just picked it up from Ant.

mikew

19:03 Sat, 27 Oct 2018


I would say that is beneficial for one member to use till not needed since a routine in everything and if not that might as well but one them selves.

mikew

22:38 Sat, 27 Oct 2018


Like the idea of subsidised kit, also this helps to promote the club

jonm

5:20 Sun, 28 Oct 2018


What jonm says.
Good idea.

julianb

12:57 Sun, 28 Oct 2018


The age limit on our Bee is only 3 years, although Aubrey is quite small so will hopefully last through next summer. Happy to pass that on to the club after though.

will

14:37 Sun, 28 Oct 2018


I agree with Mike about the trailer, it is usable (when dry) but not really repairable anymore.

Ant

20:15 Sun, 28 Oct 2018


Subsidise the club kit so its more affordable and inclusive, e.g. around £35 for a jersey. If ICC can do it then surely we can!

newsonoid

14:43 Thu, 1 Nov 2018


We will probably have to change kit supplier to achieve that price.

macca

13:48 Fri, 2 Nov 2018


Mission Statement though init?

mikew

15:53 Fri, 2 Nov 2018


@macca,

The finances of the club are very healthy, considering we have done nothing since last year despite the many suggestions in this thread (none of which have been acted upon) and it was very healthy last year so its fair to assume no/minimal change.

One of the most obvious, suggested by Paul, is to subsidise club kit, its open to all and use of club kit is definitely lacking throughout due to the general opinion that the kit isn't worth the price that is being asked for it.

I can't see any reason we would need to change supplier to achieve a lower kit price of £35/£40 per unit if we have the funds and WANT to actually SPEND the money instead of hoarding it.

Realistically we have a maximum of 30 active members who will buy a kit 30 x £30 (~subsidised amount) is £900...I cant quite remember how much we had in the account but it was definitely close to, if not over 5 figures, so that's ~ 10% spent.

If indeed it can't be achieved then we could change supplier like has been asked for in the past 2 years...

If BCC are not actually going to spend this money on anything then what is the point in being in this ever shrinking club? Our membership fee simply pays the race entry fees of people who I see maybe once a year. All I get out of this is a website that I post rides on after I have organised them on WhatsApp.

George

17:51 Fri, 2 Nov 2018


George, some excellent points there which will make for a great discussion for the AGM and it maybe worth you contacting John or Rich O to get it formally on the agenda.

I am not 100% sure if you were a member when the race team was formed (and forgive me if I have that wrong). When I was racing for the club, the race team(s) are completely self funding from sponsorship (hence the different "Race" Kit) and also running a round of the East Midlands Road Race League and therefore doesn't draw from members subs.

DarrenC

11:30 Mon, 5 Nov 2018


Hi Darren, I am aware that the men's race team does self fund, in addition to this over the past 2 years at least, the club has spent funds on race entries for other teams such as the ladies team and some juniors.

My point regarding race entries is largely irrelevant as the actual costs are very small in the scheme of the funds and clearly worth the outlay, it was mainly illustrating the point (albeit poorly) that despite numerous 'calls for suggestions' we still don't spend any money on something open to all so instead the only costs we do see are of no perceived benefit to the majority.

The item was on the agenda last year, it was thoroughly discussed then this thread was born (20th December 2017)..and it's died a death again.

George

22:59 Mon, 5 Nov 2018


Valid points George, definitely worth further exploration. I personally think of club kit as a walking (or hopefully wheeling) billboard for the club so the more people wearing it the better. With the AGM coming up perhaps you might consider standing for a role on the committee so as to put your ideas further forward?

Charlie

1:24 Tue, 6 Nov 2018


I like your thinking Charlie. We need riders on the committee. Mark Jones came on board but had to resign due to other commitments. My role may be up grabs George, so put your name forward.
I can assure you that no club funds have been used for any of the race teams be it Mens, Ladies or anyone else. Sponsorship has been raised to cover all of these costs so that's not a problem. John has put is hand in his pocket to ensure club funds are never used.
Just like this thread there are many opinions and a few of the ideas need volunteers to organise such as the tool library.
Whilst I like the idea of subsidised kit, my opinion is that we cannot make a substantial contribution to make a significant difference especially if every member decided to accept the offer.
Since the AGM we spent a lot of time organising the Sportive which we then had to cancel due to lack of support. This was both draining and disappointing as almost everything was in place to host it.
I will be sending an email to everyone in the next day or so to advise the date of the AGM and ask for suggestions for the agenda.

RichO

8:51 Tue, 6 Nov 2018


I'm slightly confused by this? Last year there was discussion at the AGM that we had and should continue subsidising certain teams for the growth of cycling etc, and it was widely agreed. Has this not carried on? It shouldn't be on Jon to pay for this when the club has funds for this type of thing...

George

16:37 Tue, 6 Nov 2018


I don’t think it was agreed that club funds should be used for any racing as the perceived benefit was not for all members. Club funds should be used for the benefit of all members not just a select few so this is the philosophy that the committee adopts.
Whilst the committee only meets a few times a year we didn’t have chance to discuss fully all the options. We have decided not to host a sportive in future due to the saturation in the market so this will provide an opportunity to finally do something positive. This is your club and we are open to suggestions but please bear in mind that the committee do not have time to implement all suggestions without support of the members

RichO

19:13 Tue, 6 Nov 2018


As said earlier on this thread thank you for all your current thoughts.

It was agreed at the last exec meeting that we should consider suggestions that will benefit all members so with this in mind we decided to consider for approval at the AGM:

Having shared tools.

Quarterly club rides to cafe where the club pays for the cake.

Club trailer

Surplus BCC water bottles to be given to members at events such as the AGM.

We also pointed out that the other ideas have great merit and we would ask that they be planned out and costed so that we can consider them.

Based on the renewed kit discussion above we have made contact with another kit provider (highly recommended) to deliver a reduced price offer. We will provide samples and prices at the AGM so that all members present can make a decision and we can move forward with whatever is agreed with.

We are not keen to subsidise as that would mean constantly subsidising for each and every order.
It seems better management to get to a stable reduced kit price that everyone is happier with.

However it is worth reiterating that at the last AGM we discussed kit and the pitfalls of previous bad experiences from kit companies and that the current local supplier provided the best overall solution. Having been through the pain of three previous kit providers who let us down many times and Rob Topliss who encountered the poor service from the MTB supplier it can be very stressful setting things up. But we will ensure that if the members decide to move forward with the new kit company at the AGM I will oversee this.

I feel it is important to point out that we have been constantly investing and not hoarding the money. This year alone based on the previous AGM minutes which you should all have received from Richard we have invested in:

Purchased a Ladies TT trophy.
Funded a reliability ride that replaced the cancelled sportive.
Paying for the website to be mobile responsive.
Paying for smart phone notifications and extra costs for an Apple notification application which is still to be completed.
We are also costing streamlining membership payments and management so that it gets rid of some of the snags that Jim W and new members encounter.
We are also investigating youth opportunities that we can share at the AGM

Over the years we have invested in many events and items that all members can and have benefited from and the items are in our lock-up such as: Bike Carrier x2 and large white marquee plus other items that we can provide a list of.

Like all our members who put on the rides the exec are volunteers and only meet 3 times per year maximum. The earlier meetings were to plan the sportive and then its cancellation and plan the mobile responsive and notification projects. The final exec meeting just before the AGM will be to define and refine the above.

It is important to clear up any misunderstanding of funding for racing. All men, women and junior racing is funded from sponsorship.
No club generated funds go to racing. As Richard says we didn't want to direct club funds to an activity that isn't available to all.

Sorry for the long message but I felt that after speaking with Richard that we needed to clarify where we are. And lastly thank you for your input and look forward to seeing you at the AGM.

macca

23:50 Tue, 6 Nov 2018


Thanks for the update macca and RichO. I appreciate your (and the others') efforts in running the committee and keeping your ears open to suggestions, even if we sometimes can't do all of them each year.

I am really pleased with the outcome of the mobile friendly website, and personally think this was a good news story from last years discussion at the AGM. It did involve a bit of volunteer effort from a few of us, just to back up what you say about needing effort to make things happen rather than assuming committee will do it all.

I do however agree with where George is coming from on the kit sponsorship, and I'd really like to see it get some air time at the AGM. There must be a way of using some money to get more of us wearing kit while we are out without making it horrendously complicated. Obviously I don't want to use up loads of precious agenda time but there is clearly some strength of feeling here.

Just a thought - Perhaps we could establish a small but well balanced "kit team" that can have a go at working up some proposals for committee discussion another time...? Happy to join forces with George if he's up for it....?

Mike

Mike H

22:12 Tue, 13 Nov 2018


Hi Mike thanks for your support in getting the website mobile friendly and the notifications sorted. It is this type of support that helps get things done.
On the Kit, as stated above we have sourced and will be offering alternative kit solutions at the AGM for members to choose. You are right it has gained a momentum and we are responding. We the exec had to prioritise our efforts from last years discussion list.
At the AGM if we choose to source a new supplier can certainly compile a Kit team to work with me.

macca

22:47 Tue, 13 Nov 2018


I'm not sure why you (or the exec) are planning on wasting time and effort trying to source cheaper club kit John. Clearly it's time consuming and frustrating, and the point of this whole thread was to find a way to spend some of the club's money (which it already has) and which can easily be done by subsidising the current supplier's costs.
It doesn't mean you have to do it every time somebody wants to buy kit in the future, you could simply set up a 'subsidised window' on a once-only basis - let's say in the spring - and try to generate a larger than normal order (which will reduce the cost anyway), and then decide at the next AGM whether the experiment was a success and should be run again the following year.
To be clear, I have no vested interest in this idea because I don't want any kit anyway, but it seems a sensible way to spend some of the money without anyone having to do a shed load of work with designs, samples and costings.

As I said when I started this thread, I still believe the club should run a subsidised cycle event like a coast-to-coast or something like that. It would only need to pay for the transport and for the costs of a driver - anyone wanting to go would pay for their own accommodation, food and so on. I don't think this would be too expensive and could be a kind of flagship ride that attracts new members and maybe gets some of the hidden members who join every year but never ride, to dust their bikes down and come along. I will try to cost this, at least roughly, in time for the AGM.

And before anybody else says that this wouldn't suit everybody because not everyone can get time off / afford to cycle for a weekend, well, it's a cycling club, and it'd open to everyone who is a member. I have no young children and therefore no use for the cycle trailer but I don't think it's unfair that the club has one and caters for those with young families.

George's idea about quarterly rides, where the coffee is paid for by the club is also a good one. Somehow whenever there's an 'event' like Mark's birthday ride or the Pudding ride, everyone come out of the woodwork and manages to get out on the road for them even though I don't see most of them again for another year. Do it quarterly and you might find it generates more regular riders for the 'normal' rides which could also help the club grow.

Jim7

9:36 Wed, 14 Nov 2018


Thanks Jim good points and this will help shape decisions at the AGM.
If you can send them to Richard he will allocate time for them at the AGM.

macca

9:42 Wed, 14 Nov 2018


Login to Comment


All General Discussions

Upcoming Rides/Events


1
Code Red

richard_a 7:00 PM Tue, 18 Dec


0
Chaingang

richardb 7:30 PM Wed, 19 Dec


2
Christmas Coffee Morning

DarrenC 6:50 AM Fri, 21 Dec


0
NDCXL Round 9 - Bakewell

RichO 1:00 PM Sat, 29 Dec


9
Broxtowe Cyclocross

richshen 7:00 AM Sat, 19 Jan