Long Lane

10:43 Fri, 12 Jan 2018

As I'm sure many people know, Long Lane (between Sawley and Kegworth) is in a terrible state at the moment. Construction traffic, fly-tipping and hedge cutting have all taken their toll, and the conditions are somewhere between unpleasant and hazardous. At best you end up absolutely covered in mud, and many people have suffered punctures there in the last few weeks. Our resident daily commuter said this morning that it's worse than he's ever seen it (in the better part of ten years).

Given how important a route it is for local cyclists, is there anything we can do as a club to try and improve it? Lobbying the council (I guess Leicestershire CC) to do something about it would be the best option, but I don't know how likely they are to listen.

Failing that, one suggestion this morning was perhaps using some of the clubs funds to do something about it ourselves. How expensive is it to hire street sweeper for a few hours? :-)

10:43 Fri, 12 Jan 2018

Seems like a waste of money to me - you could sweep it today and it's be a mess again tomorrow given the weather conditions and the fact that there are tractors churning up and down there all the time.
Also, it's the council's responsibility. If you take the onus from them, they'll expect you to do it again next time.

13:50 Fri, 12 Jan 2018

£32/hr+2hrs travel+£140 tip charge Liability for further damage to road surface= bad idea

0:01 Sat, 13 Jan 2018

In case it wasn't clear, my suggestion about the street sweeper was tongue-in-cheek. Is lobbying the council as a club worth trying though? Since its no longer a through road for cars, they're unlikely to do anything about it unless someone asks.

12:02 Tue, 16 Jan 2018

You need to be more on the nose than that - where's your tongue-in-cheek emoji-gif-timewaster?
I thought you'd probably bought a new broom and were trying to get the club to chip in for it....

13:57 Tue, 16 Jan 2018

North West Leics is the council you need based on the post code of Kegworth Shooting Club (DE74 2GA) where the road is at its worst, they have an online complaints submission.

I'll leave it to you Dr Rich as you know more big scary words than my standard 4 letter vernacular that I would use ;-)

14:59 Tue, 16 Jan 2018

Might help coming from a famous name though Darren :-D

16:33 Wed, 17 Jan 2018

Although Rich has been on telly

16:34 Wed, 17 Jan 2018

Give me a few weeks Will and I'll be on it too ;-)

20:50 Wed, 17 Jan 2018

I have seen a thread on one of the local clubís faecbook pages (Leisure Lakes maybe) where there is a guy with some good connections and history of getting the appropriate council to take action on this, eg when there was only temporary road blocks by the bridge. Iíll have a dig about and see if I can find him, he might already be on the case.

19:02 Thu, 18 Jan 2018

I think itís Tim (Sinclair?) from VCLE youíre thinking about Paul.

19:46 Thu, 18 Jan 2018

Unrelated to the state of the road - the bollards have been removed from the bridge on Long Lane, and apparently the road is being re-opened to traffic from today. :-(

Had anyone heard anything about that before now? I thought the closure was supposed to be permanent.

15:44 Tue, 30 Jan 2018

I'd welcome it being reopened to cars - at least that way it'll be maintained as a proper road. If it's closed, then in a few years it'll only be good for off-roading.

Simon L

15:51 Wed, 31 Jan 2018

Unfortunately it becomes dangerous when cars are using it as a rat run.
Maybe this should have it's own discussion thread, but I got this from Long Eaton club. Tim Sinclair knows a fair bit about the options and who to contact but it would also help if Kegworth Parish Council received some letters of complaint.

Iíve just received notification today, that the road bridge over the A453 at Long Lane Kegworth is reopening today.
Due to the expected increase in traffic volume, please be very careful cycling in that area.
Highways England Letter attached.
Iíve requested a chat with the project manager in relation to the safety of non-vehicular users of this road.

Tim Sinclair
Press, Publicity & Clothing Secretary.

18:33 Wed, 31 Jan 2018

More info from Tim:

Kegworth Parish Council are receiving a large amount of queries in relation to the re opening of the Long Lane bridge. They have provided the following detail (see end of this post) and the section that says 'This road is gated and the gate can be re-instated on the opening of Long Lane to prevent rat-running through to Sawley' is rather at odds with the re-opening of the bridge in the first place. The re instatement of the bridge seems to simply 'tie up the loose ends' from the A453 widening and put the ball for the management of the road firmly back with the local authority. It's now a matter of what they do with that ball! Kegworth Parish Council will be keeping me up to date with any developments, which I will pass on where relevant.....

"Dear Tim

Further to our conversation today, please see below the body of the email I received from County Highways in September 2017. As you are aware, I have raised a query in relation to the last paragraph and the situation of the gates and have informed LCC that these are welded open. As soon as I hear back from LCC, I will let you know.

"As I am sure you are aware as part of the A453 Widening Scheme the overbridge that carries Long Lane was closed and widened to allow construction of the new westbound carriageway of the A453. The bridge was closed to traffic in July 2013 to enable this widening to take place and towards the end of the work on the bridge (May 2015) Highways England found that some of the concrete in the deck was of variable quality and decided to take some cores to assess the strength of the concrete. To facilitate this, Leicestershire County Council processed a second temporary 18 month Order to close the bridge.

In January 2017, unfortunately the results of the structural assessment were not available to allow the strength of the bridge to be determined, the County Council processed a further temporary 18 month closure Order; requiring the consent of the Secretary of State. The results of the assessment are now available and the County Council are working with Highways England to safely re-open the bridge before the temporary closure Order lapses.

During the 4 year closure of the bridge, local landowners and businesses that require access to both sides of the A453, have been required to detour via the A6 and A50 accessing the north side of the A453 along Warren Lane and vice versa. The re-opening of the bridge has become pressing given the improvement works to the M1 J23a (part of the East Midlands Gateway development), these works will permanently prevent access from Warren Lane onto the A50 and (unless Long Lane is re-opened) this will in effect remove access for these businesses apart from a further 4 mile detour via Sawley Marina passing under a low, narrow rail bridge that makes the route impassable for large vehicles such as skip lorries, HGVís and agricultural equipment.

As advised by Highways England the bridge will most likely re-open with traffic lights to limit traffic to single file over the bridge. Long Lane will retain the 7.5 Tonne environmental weight limit which restricts HGV access to delivery/loading only and the number of large vehicles is expected to be low. The quarry has a new private access that re-joins at M1 junction 24.

There is an existing Prohibition of Driving order in existence on the whole length of Ratcliffe Lane from its junction with Warren Lane which has been suspended whilst Long Lane was closed. This road is gated and the gate can be re-instated on the opening of Long Lane to prevent rat-running through to Sawley"

Vicky Roe
Parish Clerk

Tel: 01509 670204"

16:23 Thu, 1 Feb 2018

Login to Comment

All General Discussions