Long Lane

richard_a

10:43 Fri, 12 Jan 2018

As I'm sure many people know, Long Lane (between Sawley and Kegworth) is in a terrible state at the moment. Construction traffic, fly-tipping and hedge cutting have all taken their toll, and the conditions are somewhere between unpleasant and hazardous. At best you end up absolutely covered in mud, and many people have suffered punctures there in the last few weeks. Our resident daily commuter said this morning that it's worse than he's ever seen it (in the better part of ten years).

Given how important a route it is for local cyclists, is there anything we can do as a club to try and improve it? Lobbying the council (I guess Leicestershire CC) to do something about it would be the best option, but I don't know how likely they are to listen.

Failing that, one suggestion this morning was perhaps using some of the clubs funds to do something about it ourselves. How expensive is it to hire street sweeper for a few hours? :-)

richard_a

10:43 Fri, 12 Jan 2018

Seems like a waste of money to me - you could sweep it today and it's be a mess again tomorrow given the weather conditions and the fact that there are tractors churning up and down there all the time.
Also, it's the council's responsibility. If you take the onus from them, they'll expect you to do it again next time.

Jim7

13:50 Fri, 12 Jan 2018

32/hr+2hrs travel+140 tip charge Liability for further damage to road surface= bad idea

ciccione

0:01 Sat, 13 Jan 2018

In case it wasn't clear, my suggestion about the street sweeper was tongue-in-cheek. Is lobbying the council as a club worth trying though? Since its no longer a through road for cars, they're unlikely to do anything about it unless someone asks.

richard_a

12:02 Tue, 16 Jan 2018

You need to be more on the nose than that - where's your tongue-in-cheek emoji-gif-timewaster?
I thought you'd probably bought a new broom and were trying to get the club to chip in for it....

Jim7

13:57 Tue, 16 Jan 2018

North West Leics is the council you need based on the post code of Kegworth Shooting Club (DE74 2GA) where the road is at its worst, they have an online complaints submission.

I'll leave it to you Dr Rich as you know more big scary words than my standard 4 letter vernacular that I would use ;-)

DarrenC

14:59 Tue, 16 Jan 2018

Might help coming from a famous name though Darren :-D

will

16:33 Wed, 17 Jan 2018

Although Rich has been on telly

will

16:34 Wed, 17 Jan 2018

Give me a few weeks Will and I'll be on it too ;-)

DarrenC

20:50 Wed, 17 Jan 2018

Login to Comment

All General Discussions